ANZAC Day 2024 Colonel Tour
This 13 day tour, starts and ends in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Gallipoli – Battlefields Tour
- Gallipoli – ANZAC Cove
- Gallipoli – Lone Pine – Australian Memorial
- Gallipoli – Johnson’s Jolly – original tunnels
- Gallipoli – The Nek – original trenches
- Gallipoli – Chunuk Bair – New Zealand Memorial
- Gallipoli – ANZAC Day – Dawn Service and ANZAC Memorial Services
- Troy – UNESCO Heritage site
- Pergamon – Teleferik (Cable Car)
- Pergamon – UNESCO Heritage site
- Site of the Temple of Artemis
- Ephesus – UNESCO Heritage site
- Sirince – Village
- Pamukkale – Calcium Travertines – UNESCO Heritage site
- Pamukkale – Hierapolis – Tour
- Laodicea – Ancient Site
- Perge – Ancient Site
- Aspendos – Ancient Site
- Cappadocia – Pigeon Valley
- Cappadocia – Red Valley
- Cappadocia – Çavuşin Village
- Cappadocia – Avanos – Pottery Village
- Göreme – UNESCO Heritage site
- Göreme – Open Air Museum
- Cappadocia – Kaymakli – Underground City
- Istanbul – Old City – UNESCO Heritage site
- Istanbul – St. Sophia Museum
- Istanbul – Blue Mosque
- Istanbul – Topkapi Palace
- Istanbul – Hagia Irene (Aya İrini)
- Istanbul – Hippodrome
Max group size:
- Professional English-speaking tour guide for the duration of the tour
- Transportation in a fully air-conditioned, non-smoking vehicle
- Domestic flight between Cappadocia and Istanbul and transfers
- Domestic flight between Antalya and Cappadocia (possibly via Istanbul) and transfers
- Entrance fees
- Tips except Driver and Guide
Tuesday 23rd April
Welcome to Istanbul, where you will be met at the airport and transferred to your hotel. Tonight, meet your guide and the rest of your group.
One of the most emotionally touching places in Turkey, today we visit the WWI Battlefields of Gallipoli including Lone Pine and Chunuk Bair Memorials, ANZAC Cove, The Nek, Johnston’s Jolly, original trenches and tunnels.
Awake before sun rise for the ANZAC Day Dawn Service. We become aware of the almost deafening silence as the moving service to commemorate our fallen forefathers on this special day begins. You will then have the chance to attend the Australian or New Zealand Memorial service before returning to the hotel in the afternoon.
Step back in time today as we visit Troy and its famed Trojan Horse. We continue on to Bergama and catch the new cable car up to the magnificent acropolis of Pergamon. Its impressive temples and library made it a renowned cultural and political centre in its time.
Absorb yourself in history today with a guided tour of Ephesus and a visit to the site of the Temple of Artemis. Feel the mystical atmosphere of the ancient city and theatre before continuing to the former Greek village of Sirince, famous for its fruit wines. Carpet weaving has long traditions in Turkey and at the carpet village we learn how the carpets are made by hand and what determines their value.
This morning we will enjoy a display of locally handcrafted leather goods before heading to the magnificent white calcium terraces, known as Travertines, in Pamukkale where we also tour the ancient city of Hierapolis. Take a dip, amongst ancient columns, in the hot springs that were used in Roman times for their therapeutic powers.
After breakfast we head for the resort town of Antalya, stopping along the way to visit isit the Laodicea which was the chief city of the Lycus River Valley region. The full name of the city was Laodicea ad Lyceum (Laodicea on the Lycus). The city was originally known as Diospolis (“the City of Zeus”). The Greek deity considered to be the greatest of the Olympian gods. Then, we will head to resort town, Antalya. We will visit Antalya Arecheological Museum in the afternoon.
Full day tour of the ancient ruins of Perge and Aspendos. In Aspendos, you can see the Roman Theatre built in the 2nd century and seating 15,000 people. Side is one of the best classical sites in Turkey with its Temple of Apollo and ancient ruins.
Today we fly to Cappadocia, over the central part of the country. The remainder of the day is free time to explore.
Today we will visit Pigeon and Red Valley and then we visit Cavusin village and lastly Avanos town where we will learn about hand-made pottery
Marvel at the lunar landscape of Cappadocia today as we visit the Goreme Valley Open Air Museum and the fairy chimneys, and explore the many levels of an underground city. Then, we will head to airport for an evening flight to Istanbul.
After breakfast, you enjoy a fully guided tour of the only city to span two continents, visiting the Blue Mosque, St. Sophia Museum, Topkapi Palace, the Hippodrome and the Grand Bazaar. Tonight don’t miss the optional Turkish Folklore evening.
Our tour concludes after breakfast and we bid farewell to our new friends.