Flying Discovery Tour
This 19 day tour, starts and ends in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Istanbul – Old City – UNESCO Heritage site
- Istanbul – St. Sophia Museum
- Istanbul – Blue Mosque
- Istanbul – Topkapi Palace
- Istanbul – Hagia Irene (Aya İrini)
- Istanbul – Hippodrome
- Gallipoli – Battlefields Tour
- Gallipoli – ANZAC Cove
- Gallipoli – Lone Pine – Australian Memorial
- Gallipoli – Johnson’s Jolly – original tunnels
- Gallipoli – The Nek – original trenches
- Gallipoli – Chunuk Bair – New Zealand Memorial
- Troy – UNESCO Heritage site
- Pergamon – Teleferik (Cable Car)
- Pergamon – UNESCO Heritage site
- Site of the Temple of Artemis
- Ephesus – UNESCO Heritage site
- Sirince – Village
- Pamukkale – Calcium Travertines – UNESCO Heritage site
- Pamukkale – Hierapolis – Tour
- Dalyan – Dalyan River Cruise and Mud Baths
- Dalyan – Kaunos Kings Tombs
- Fethiye – Overnight
- Fethiye – Fethiye 12 Island Cruise
- Kayaköy – Greek Village
- Antalya – Kaleiçi (Old Town) – Tour
- Antalya – Hadrian’s Gate
- Antalya – Suna-İnan Kıraç Kaleiçi Museum
- Aspendos – Ancient Site
- Konya – Tinaztepe Caves
- Konya – Mevlana Museum
- Konya – Sille Village
- Sultanhani Caravansary
- Göreme – UNESCO Heritage site
- Göreme – Open Air Museum
- Cappadocia – Kaymakli – Underground City
- Cappadocia – Pigeon Valley
- Cappadocia – Red Valley
- Cappadocia – Çavuşin Village
- Cappadocia – Avanos – Pottery Village
- Van – Urartian Fortress Citadel
- Van – Akdamar Island
- Van – Akdamar Church
- Van – Urartu Archeology and Ethnography Museum
- Van – House of Cats
- Muradiye – Bendimahi Falls
- Dogubayazit – Ishak Pasa Palace
- Mt. Ararat
- Ani – Citadel
- Ani – Cathedral of Ani
- Kars – Church of the Twelve Apostles
Max group size:
- Professional English-speaking tour guide for the duration of the tour
- Transportation in a fully air-conditioned, non-smoking vehicle
- Domestic flight between Ankara and Van and transfers
- Domestic flight between Kars and Istanbul and transfers
- Tips except Driver and Guide
- Entrance fees
Every 2nd Saturday - April to October
- The 2024 Flying Discovery Tour has changes Day 6 to Day 13.
- - Fethiye 12 Island Cruise, Antalya Old Town Tour & Dalyan have been removed and replaced by Aphrodisias, Salda Lake, Antalya Museum & Perge. A free day in Fethiye has been added.
- - The 2024 version of this tour may be found here 2024 - Flying Discovery Tour
Welcome to Istanbul! You will be transferred to your hotel and the remainder of the day is yours free to explore at your own pace.
After breakfast, you enjoy a fully guided tour of the only city to span two continents, visiting the Blue Mosque, St Sophia Museum, Topkapi Palace (including Hagia Irene) and the Hippodrome.
Cruise between two continents on the stretch of water that separates Europe from Asia in the afternoon with an optional ‘Half day Bosphorus cruise’.
Today we visit the WW1 battlefields of Gallipoli including Lone Pine and Chunuk Bair Memorials, ANZAC Cove, The Nek, Johnston’s Jolly, original trenches and tunnels.
Step back in time today as we visit Troy and its famed Trojan Horse. We continue on to Bergama and catch the new cable car up to the magnificent acropolis of Pergamon. Its impressive temples and library made it a renowned cultural and political centre in its time.
Absorb yourself in history today with a guided tour of Ephesus and a visit to the site of the Temple of Artemis. Feel the mystical atmosphere of the ancient city and theatre before continuing to the former Greek village of Sirince, famous for its fruit wines. Carpet weaving has long traditions in Turkey and at the carpet village we learn how the carpets are made by hand and what determines their value.
This morning we will head to the magnificent white calcium terraces, known as Travertines, in Pamukkale where we also tour the ancient city of Hierapolis. Take a dip, amongst ancient columns, in the hot springs that were used in Roman times for their therapeutic powers.
Today our first stop is the lake side town of Dalyan. Here we take a leisurely boat trip along the Dalyan River, passing the ancient Kaunos tombs that have been carved into the cliff face. The Dalyan Delta is a nature conservation area and a home to protected loggerhead turtle (Caretta Caretta) nesting grounds. And finally there is the Sultaniye mud baths, fun, rejuvenating and surely a great chance for a snapshot.
From here its a short drive to our final stop, the seaside town of Fethiye.
Today we take a 12-island boat cruise from Fethiye, you can swim in the crystal clear blue water and enjoy the amazing views of the Turquoise bays, small islands and secluded beaches. You may even see dolphins or sea turtles !
This morning we head to Kayakoy. The morning light provides excellent photos of this deserted Greek village. Afterwards we drive to the resort town of Antalya. Here we will take a walking tour of the old town area of Antalya known as “Kaleiçi”. Amongst other things we’ll visit Hadrian’s Gate, the Ancient Harbour and Suna-Inan Kiraç, Kaleiçi Museum which even has a Greek Orthodox Church in its garden!
Today we head for mystical Konya, visiting Aspendos and Konya along the way. In Aspendos, you can see the Roman Theatre built in the 2nd century and seating 15,000 people. On the way to Konya, we will also visit Tinatepe Cave.
We will visit the mausoleum of Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi with its accompanying Mevlana museum. We continue along the ancient Silk Road visiting the Greek village Sille and Sultanhani Caravansary before arriving in Cappadocia.
Marvel at the lunar landscape of Cappadocia today as we visit the Goreme Valley Open Air Museum and the fairy chimneys, and explore the many levels of an underground city.
Today we visit Pigeon and Red Valley, followed by Cavusin village and lastly Avanos town where we will learn about hand-made pottery
Departure in the morning from Cappadocia, we head to Ankara for our direct flight to Van. On arrival to Van Airport, you will meet with your tour guide. Before we go to our hotel, we will explore the Citadel with its three thousand Urartian fortress of Van and witness the extraordinary sunset.
After breakfast, we will travel by ferry stopping at Akdamar Island to see a spectacular 10th century church built by an Armenian king, if there is time swim in Lake Van.
Then, we will drive back to city centre to visit the largest Urartu Museum in the World. Artifacts from the Paleolithic, Neolithic, Chalcolithic, Urartian, Persian, Roman, Byzantine, Islamic, Seljuk, Turkish-Islamic, and Ottoman Periods are exhibited in chronological order taking our visitors on a unique historical journey.
After the museum visit Van Cat House. Van cats are relatively large, have a chalky white coat, sometimes with ruddy coloration on the head and hindquarters, and have blue, amber eyes or one eye of each colour. This variety has been referred to as “the swimming cat”, and has been observed to swim in Lake Van.
Today we leave for Dogubayazit via Muradiye and the Bendimaahi Falls. In Dogubayazit, we visit the spectacular Ishak Pasha Palace, 1685 – 1784, which has a unique fusion of architecture from Seljuk, Ottoman, Georgian, and Armenian – Persian styles.
We continue our journey north, skirting around the western edge of Mt Ararat. Mt. Ararat is one of the great natural spectacles of the world,. The name Ararat derives from the Bible (Jeremiah 51:27) and is a transliteration of ‘Urartu’ the name foreigners gave to this region and its inhabitants in Biblical times.
This morning we journey to the site of Ani, the former capital of the Armenian kingdom. In the mid 10th century, nothing in Europe could rival this capital of the Armenian kingdom in terms of either size or magnificence. The remains of the ruined city include several churches as well as the shell of the Cathedral of Ani, the citadel and a mosque. There are also some exciting remains of frescoes in the Church of St Gregory (Tigran Honentz) despite having been exposed to the elements for centuries.
Afternoon, we will visit 12 Aposotles Church and Kars Castle.
Transfer to Kars Airport for your onward flight back to Istanbul. On arrival to Istanbul Airport, you will be transferred to your hotel.
After breakfast our tour concludes and we say goodbye to our new friends and are transferred to the airport for your onward flight.